Suggestion for name specification for extra drive and media icons

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Jan 23 20:30:12 EET 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 12:33 -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> We can probably just specify some fallbacks through HAL, and let
> the apps query it for what icon to use. HAL can then provide a list of
> icons like "drive-dvd-video,drive-dvd,drive-cdrom" to look for, and the
> implementation/application can fall back through the list, to the one
> that exists in the current theme, before falling back to specific ones
> in themes inherited from.

HAL is no longer in the business of providing icon names and localized
strings; those bits are deprecated and will be removed from the library
libhal-storage at some point in the future (they're still there only
because we don't want to break API/ABI).

Of course, now that we have the icon-naming-spec (which is great, thanks
for working on it!) we can do this in a sane way, e.g. not require that
the caller initializes the library with a mapping from HAL constants to
icon names.

    David