File origin metadata

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Jul 4 17:03:34 EEST 2006

On Fri Jun 30 00:41:56 2006, Pat Suwalski wrote:
> Claes at work wrote:
> > On 6/28/06, Bastian, Waldo <waldo.bastian at intel.com> wrote:
> >> Yes, sounds very useful.
> > > I have created a wiki page on extended attributes:
> > http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/CommonExtendedAttributes
> > > I have documented current practise, as well as proposed a few
> new
> > attributes that I think will be useful over time
>
> I was wondering when someone would get around to really using the
> filesystems' xattr field!
>
> Would there be interest in starting a more complete document that
> has
> common metadata attributes by mime type?

Something like the OMA STI stuff? (So raster images are known to have
height and width, etc).

Not that I'm advocating storing all of these in xattrs, but the OMA
has at least put some effort into what the metadata fields are, and
it makes sense to keep things consistent, and borrow other people's
work.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/