SLES10RC3 and Icon-lookup with KDE doesn't work as expected

Marcus Grassinger M.Grassinger at science-computing.de
Thu Jul 13 15:02:06 EEST 2006

Hi Folks,

I'm evaluating whether KDE 3.5.1 (Level "a") respects the
icon-lookup-spec.
I concluded that it doesn't. Do you think that is due to
SuSE-specific changes in the kde-configuration?

The only time when icons get shown in KDE is when I place them in
/opt/kde3/share/icons/hicolor/[...]/apps/.
The variable XDG_DATA_DIRS is set by default to
"/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/:/etc/opt/kde3/share/:/opt/kde3/share/:/opt/gnome/share/".

Do I understand the icon-lookup-spec correctly, assuming that kde
should at least look in "/usr/local/share/icons/hicolor" when I
place an "Icon=red"-entry in my *.desktop-file for example?

Has anybody a clue how I can get KDE on SLES10RC3 (still beta) to
respect the spec and look in at least the fallback
(/usr/share/icons/hicolor)?

Should I complain to SuSE, or isn't it worth the time and hassle?

Best regards,
  Marcus

P.S.: On Sles9 it's the same behaviour, by the way.
P.P.S: My top.desktop-File looks like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
Categories=Graphics
Cde=
Exec=top
Genericname=
Genericname[de]=
Gnome=
Icon=red
Kde=
Location=/apps/
Mimetype=
Name=top
Name[de]=top
Terminal=1

and is located at /usr/share/applications/sundc/top.desktop .

--
I was part of that strange race of people aptly described as
spending their lives doing things they detest to make money they