Multiple Desktops and the Menu Spec

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Jul 30 23:49:16 EEST 2006

Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> What is the best practice for having two desktops each with their own
> preferences for the applications menu?
>
> Currently it seems to me its a choice between one desktop using a
> non-standard applications.menu file (e.g. in Kubuntu I use
> /etc/xdg/menus/kde-applications.menu) or having one desktop use the
> menu layout and strings from the other desktop (and there's anough
> differences which mean having a KDE applications menu on Gnome is
> quite off-putting to long time Gnome users, same vice-versa).
>
> Since the first approach has the nasty side effect of breaking any
> menu editor and other tool that uses the applications menu, as well as
> any standardisation that will need the expected applications.menu file
> is there a way to have each desktop with its preferred layout and
> still follow the standard?

I have used the kludge of installing KDE in: "/usr/kde-3/" and GNOME in:
"/usr/gnome-2/".  Then the directory "share" is a link to: "/usr/share/".

This was working fine till I upgraded GNOME and now its menu has gone
missing.

If the standard was going to do something similar, I would suggest that
we install the menus for a DeskTop in: "/etc/xdg/menus.<desktop>/".  We
should also have a: "/etc/xdg/menus/" directory for files to merge to
all DeskTops.

I see this as a solution that could also be used for other issues.

--
JRT