screensaver and power manager dbus interfaces

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 18:32:09 EEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 14:09 +0200, Holger Macht wrote:
> Why do we need this in a power managmenet context. I think all desktop
> will provide such a "Shutdown method" via dbus regardless of power
> management.

Shutdown on the session is save+close documents, log, warn user etc then
shutdown, rather than just running shutdown -h now.

> > 	Name:		CanSuspend
> > 	Args:		(none)
> > 	Returns:	BOOLEAN
> > 			is able to suspend, and has permission to do so.
> >
> > 	Name:		CanHibernate
> > 	Args:		(none)
> > 	Returns:	BOOLEAN
> > 			is able to hibernate, and has permission to do so.
>
> How is this ment to be? Does it just a mirror the corresponding HAL
> methods power_management.can_hibernate/suspend? If so, I think we don't
> need it. Desktops will have a close connection to Hal anyway to query Hal
> itself for this information IMHO.

No. in g-p-m you can set a gconf key so that you can remove the shutdown
(and other) options using sabayon or a manual lockdown by changing these
keys. The session "CanSuspend" means is the user able to suspend (i.e.
HAL is capable) and is the user *allowed* to suspend.

> If the Can{Suspend,Hibernate} methods are not meant to state this, what I
> think we need is something like...
>
> 	AllowedSuspend and
> 	AllowedHibernate
>
> which is in plain policy context, which means that you are able to
> disable/forbid suspend/hibernate from a system administrator point of
> view.

Yes, these are probably better names.

Richard.