screensaver and power manager dbus interfaces

Holger Macht hmacht at suse.de
Fri Jun 2 19:40:03 EEST 2006

On Fri 02. Jun - 15:30:12, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 14:09 +0200, Holger Macht wrote:
> > >
> > > Richard
> > >
> > > -------------- next part --------------
> > > The GNOME Power Manager DBUS API
> > > ------------------------------
> > >
> > > This API is currently unstable and is likely to change in the future.
> > >
> > > GNOME Power Manager exposes a DBUS API for programs to obtain
> > > information about the DPMS state and to change it if required.
> > >
> > > The following constants are used to uniquely refer to the
> > > PowerManager object when making DBUS method calls:
> > >
> > > DBUS Service:		"org.gnome.PowerManager"
> > > DBUS Object Path:	"/org/gnome/PowerManager"
> > > DBUS Interface:		"org.gnome.PowerManager"
> > >
> > > Methods
> > > =======
> > >
> > > 	Name:		Suspend
> > > 	Args:		(none)
> > > 	Returns:	BOOLEAN
> > >
> > > 	Name:		Hibernate
> > > 	Args:		(none)
> > > 	Returns:	BOOLEAN
> > >
> > > 	Name:		Shutdown
> > > 	Args:		(none)
> > > 	Returns:	BOOLEAN
> >
> > Why do we need this in a power managmenet context. I think all desktop
> > will provide such a "Shutdown method" via dbus regardless of power
> > management.
> >
> I think it makes sense here, in power management interface, since
> shutdown = power off. I would even add Reboot here, now that you mention
> this.

Ok, then it is more than sane to add all power management related methods
here. Like all display brightness related methods which are already in
Hal. Well if we mirror DPMS settings because on some systems we don't have
an X server, then we have to mirror _all_ power management related tasks,
because there are also systems which have no running hal. Like UPSs,
battery information, ac states.  We would have to duplicate almost
anything on org.freedesktop.PowerManager.

Regards,
	Holger