screensaver and power manager dbus interfaces

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 19:48:14 EEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 18:40 +0200, Holger Macht wrote:
> Ok, then it is more than sane to add all power management related methods
> here. Like all display brightness related methods which are already in
> Hal.

This is more sane than you think. g-p-m dims the screen when the user is
idle to save battery power (lots!), so externally stabbing at hal to
change the brightness would be the wrong thing to do here, instead
informing g-p-m of the new ideal un-dimmed brightness would be what the
application would want to do.

>  Well if we mirror DPMS settings because on some systems we don't have
> an X server, then we have to mirror _all_ power management related tasks,
> because there are also systems which have no running hal. Like UPSs,
> battery information, ac states.  We would have to duplicate almost
> anything on org.freedesktop.PowerManager.

Only the bits that make sense, i.e. things that dabble in session stuff.

Richard.