screensaver and power manager dbus interfaces

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 20:11:10 EEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 19:00 +0200, Holger Macht wrote:
> On Fri 02. Jun - 17:48:14, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 18:40 +0200, Holger Macht wrote:
> > > Ok, then it is more than sane to add all power management related methods
> > > here. Like all display brightness related methods which are already in
> > > Hal.
> >
> > This is more sane than you think. g-p-m dims the screen when the user is
> > idle to save battery power (lots!), so externally stabbing at hal to
> > change the brightness would be the wrong thing to do here, instead
> > informing g-p-m of the new ideal un-dimmed brightness would be what the
> > application would want to do.
>
> Well gnome-power-manager does this, noone else. You have to give any other
> application the possibility to implement that. Why not through
> org.freedesktop.PowerManager?

You mean to change the brightness of the machine? In which case yes,
this should be added to the spec so that another application can set the
brightness of the display.

> > >  Well if we mirror DPMS settings because on some systems we don't have
> > > an X server, then we have to mirror _all_ power management related tasks,
> > > because there are also systems which have no running hal. Like UPSs,
> > > battery information, ac states.  We would have to duplicate almost
> > > anything on org.freedesktop.PowerManager.
> >
> > Only the bits that make sense, i.e. things that dabble in session stuff.
>
> So what of the examples I wrote aren't important for the session?

Umm, foo.bar.PowerManager shouldn't abstract the data from HAL, but
allow session interaction with a power manager. I'm not sure why you
would want to abstract all that extra info. Finding out if a computer is
on AC power would be a valid abstraction (as it's not trivial to do in
HAL due to UPS's etc), but not the capacity of a specific battery.

Richard.