Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, & menu icons

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Jun 8 01:18:59 EEST 2006

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>The problem which I am pointing out is that if you install KDE that the
>KDE HiColor icon: "menu-editor" will be installed and then if you
>install GNOME and it also installs a HiColor icon: "menu-editor", you
>have problems:

This problem is not supposed to exist for application icons. The
application icons in hicolor are supposed to be the application's
official icon, despite the desktop that installed it. If the desktop has
a fancy icon matching the theme, it can install an override in that
theme.

But you're right: for non-apps icons, how does one choose which one gets
installed?

I have a few suggestions:
1. Make "hicolor" a freedesktop.org icon theme, with all icons selected
from what's available right now and packaged. So the "hicolor" theme
would be the same, despite who installed it. In fact, distributors may
want to package it separately from the desktop environments.

2. Do not install any icon into hicolor that is not an "apps" icon.

>Note that this might not be confined to HiColor, if we start to have
>common icon themes and different DeskTops start installing different
>icons for those themes that have the same name -- same exact problem.

This doesn't make sense. Why would there be two different sources of icons
for the same theme? If it's a theme, it's supposed to be one source only.

  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech AS
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway