Subdirectories in share/applications/ ?

Jaap Karssenberg j.g.karssenberg at student.utwente.nl
Wed Jun 21 01:13:52 EEST 2006

Bastian, Waldo wrote:
... 8< ..
>> 1) Is this naming scheme in any of the XDG specifications? If not, in
>> which spec does it belong - I would certainly expect it in the desktop
>> entry spec since it discusses the "mimeinfo.cache" file already.
>
> It is explained in the menu specification. See the explanation of
> "Desktop File Id" in
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/1.0/go01.html and also the
> explanation of AppDir in
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/1.0/ar01s04.html#menu-file-el
> ements :

Thanks!

I would strongly suggest that a reference to this is added in the
DesktopEntry spec in the part where to mimeinfo.cache file is named. I
doesn't feel logical to look in the menu spec for this.

...8<..
>> 2) How do I resolve a desktop file from the mimeinfo.cache file ?
>> Obvious replacing dashes by '/' isn't going to work since I find things
>> like "xterm-usercreated.desktop" in my ".local/share/applications/"
>> directory
>
> You will need to check for both xterm-usercreated.desktop and
> xterm/usercreated.desktop

So if I encounter foo-bar-baz.desktop I have 4 combinations to check ?
Or can foo-usercreated be considered an exception ?

Thanks,

-- Jaap <pardus at cpan.org>