Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, & menu icons

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Sat Jun 24 10:19:50 EEST 2006

I am picky yes, but not needlessly so.

I am not picky about the difference between $XDG_PREFIX/share/icons and
$XDG_DATA_DIRS/icons, although the latter should be used since it has a
clearly defined meaning as documented in
http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.6.html#refe
rencing

I am picky about the difference between
And

Because the latter should only be used if there is a specification that
describes its use. And yes, I agree that this is something that _could_
be added to a specification although I am not convinced that it really
matters where an application installs its private icons as long as it
knows where to look for them. And I don't think it makes sense to
require that a $XDG_DATA_DIRS location is used for private icons.
Especially since the install prefix of an application (e.g. /opt/picasa)
may not always be part of $XDG_DATA_DIRS in which case one would have to
go through some trouble to copy/link such files around. (Like we need to
do for .desktop files, mimetype icons and application icons)

I agree that it could be a good idea for GNOME/GTK to look for
application private icons in
that is similar to KDE.

Waldo Bastian
Linux Client Architect - Client Linux Foundation Technology
Channel Platform Solutions Group
Intel Corporation - http://www.intel.com/go/linux
OSDL DTL Tech Board Chairman