Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, & menu icons

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Jun 26 22:40:45 EEST 2006

Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 08:41 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> Yes, KDE's icon names are a mess.  But, I don't know of anything
>> that can't be fixed by renaming them all.
>
> The names aren't really the problem. Names are easily solved with
> symlinks and trivial patches to apps. The main issue is that KDE's
> implementation hardcodes a list of acceptable Contexts.

Could you provide a little more detail on this as I do not fully
understand the issue?

If you mean that: "actions", "apps", "devices", "filesystems", &
"mimetypes" are in the code, this is a bug just the same as the fact
that "crystalsvg" is in the code is a bug.

<SNIP>
> A lot of the statements you've made in this thread are of the "Well,
> that's GNOME's problem, not KDE's" variety.

That was not my intention.  Much of what I said was in the context of
what SMcC brought up about his problem with theming private icons in
GNOME.  I simply used the way that KDE did it as an example of what
would work.  There may be other better ideas, but naturally, it would
cause less problems if a method currently being used by GNOME or KDE
were adopted as a standard.

<SNIP>

OK, I am convinced.  The "apps" directory is a bad idea.  It is a bad
idea not based only on its name but on the fact that it is a
subdirectory where one isn't really needed.  I will support putting
everything into "$PREFIX/share".  Still worried about looking through
398 more folder but it appears to be the right thing to do.

--
JRT