Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, & menu icons

Shaun McCance shaunm at gnome.org
Sat Jun 24 23:00:39 EEST 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 00:19 -0700, Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> I agree that it could be a good idea for GNOME/GTK to look for
> application private icons in
> that is similar to KDE.

Thanks, Waldo.  It does seem KDE's system is smarter,
allowing applications to provide their own icons for
each individual theme, not just the base.  This is
half of what I was driving for, so it seems this is
just a matter of getting a better GTK+ API.

The remaining half is that I would rather not have
to target Gnome's accessibility themes specifically.
I don't know what KDE provides along these lines,
but I would hate for Yelp not to use high contrast
icons when run in high contrast under KDE.

Does KDE have icons sets for various accessibility
requirements?  I think we could easily just define
a few common accessibility theme names, and then
actual accessibility themes could just inherit
from those.  Third-party packages could then just
provide e.g. hicontrast icons whenever they also
provide hicolor icons, and in exactly the same
way.

--
Shaun