Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, & menu icons

Shaun McCance shaunm at gnome.org
Sat Jun 24 22:44:54 EEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 21:58 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Shaun McCance wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 16:13 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> >> What we need is not just a GNOME solution for the GNOME DeskTop. We
> >>  need a solution that works for a GNOME application running on any
> >> Desktop.  That is why the Icon Theme spec was drawn up and
> >> installing icons in a DATADIR doesn't follow the spec.
> >
> > There is nothing GNOME-specific about anything I just said.  I am
> > installing my application-specific icons into my application's data
> > directory, commonly /usr/share/yelp/icons.
>
> That isn't how you would do it with KDE.  In KDE you would install them
> where I said:

> and you can install multiple themes and KDE will (is supposed to --
> there are some bugs) load the icons for the theme you are using or fall
> back to HiColor.

I don't think that's a relevant integration point.
Where my icons happen to be, and whether or not
I have to explicitly tell my API about that, does
not affect interoperability.  The icons belong to
my applicaiton only, and no other application has
any need to display them.

When I say this isn't Gnome-specific, I mean that
there is no difference between running Yelp under
Gnome or KDE or XFCE or GNUStep.  Internal API is
pretty close to irrelevant.

In another email, you mention third-party MIME
icons.  That's another ballgame, because those
do need to used outside of the application that
provided them.  So we need to figure out a sane
way for packages to install MIME icons, and we
need them to be able to provide accessibility
versions of those icons as well.

But please, let's not focus on where I install my
application-specific internal icons, or whether or
not I call gtk_icon_theme_append_search_path.  It
isn't relevant.

--
Shaun