libxdg-vfs - screenshots

Rodney Dawes dobey at novell.com
Mon Jun 26 23:22:30 EEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 21:57 +0200, nf2 wrote:
> The problem is, that this will only work for standard file-open/save
> dialogs, but a lot of applications want to customize file-dialogs with
> their own widgets (previews, filter options, checkboxes etc...). In this
> case the coupling between the toolkit of the application and
> file-choosers seems too tight for defining a standard interface.
>
> Perhaps a clean separation between presentation layer (toolkits,
> widgets, dialogs) and infrastructure layer (VFS API) would work better here.

This still has the problem of decreasing usability of an application
though. The behavior of several widgets will be different across
toolkits, and the button order in the dialog may be different. And then
the theme may look entirely different as well. I don't think it's really
worth the effort to try opening the appropriate dialog until the rest of
the look & feel issues are sorted first.

-- dobey