libxdg-vfs - screenshots

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Mon Jun 26 22:57:12 EEST 2006

Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Mon Jun 26 14:11:57 2006, nf2 wrote:
>> The idea behind this experiment is to align the behavior of KIO and
>> Gnome-VFS in a common frontend API which could be used from
>> cross-desktop applications and even file-dialogs (like GTKFileChooser).
>>

> An off-hand comment about this - I've not looked at your demo yet.
>
> Wouldn't it be better for the file-dialogs to be part of the VFS
> provider? It would have the effect of making a GNOME app run under KDE
> have KDE-style Save As dialogs, for example.

Actually libxdg-vfs already provides such file-dialogs from the "host"
desktop with the functions

xdg_vfs_sess_cmd_openFileDialog()
xdg_vfs_sess_cmd_saveFileDialog()

The problem is, that this will only work for standard file-open/save
dialogs, but a lot of applications want to customize file-dialogs with
their own widgets (previews, filter options, checkboxes etc...). In this
case the coupling between the toolkit of the application and
file-choosers seems too tight for defining a standard interface.

Perhaps a clean separation between presentation layer (toolkits,
widgets, dialogs) and infrastructure layer (VFS API) would work better here.

regards,
Norbert