Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, & menu icons

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Jun 29 01:07:31 EEST 2006

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> That doesn't really explain the choice of names for:
>>
>> 	share/apps/
>> 	share/config/
>>
>> which are KDE specific but don't include 'kde' in the name.
>
> Those are straightforward: application-specific files and configuration
> files.
>
> Why should they be prefixed with "kde" if the next entry will contain the
> application name? E.g., apps/konqueror, config/kmailrc.

This isn't really relevant to the question of giving them a unique name
in the 'share' directory.  We need to presume that users will install
more than one DeskTop with the same prefix (or other wise be using a
common 'share' for the DATADIR of all apps [I use links but the result
is the same]).  If we don't do this, we are going to have more than one:
"$PREFIX/share/config" directory installed and that doesn't look like a
good idea to me.

The subdirectory 'config' could simply be called 'kde-3'.  I suggest
this because I already have a subdirectory named 'gnome' and one named
'gnome-2.0'.  Other DeskTops that needed a subdirectory of 'share' for
configuration information could also add one: <desktop>-<major_version>"
and there would be no conflict.

--
JRT