Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, & menu icons

Stephan Kulow coolo at novell.com
Thu Jun 29 07:56:58 EEST 2006

Am Donnerstag, 29. Juni 2006 00:54 schrieb James Richard Tyrer:
> This probably doesn't make much difference (at least for now) for KDE
> apps and GNOME apps because they will continue to use their respective
> icon loaders to load the icons.  But, what about third party apps?
> There needs to be standard so that they can have the DeskTop (probably
> through Portland) load the themed icons.  Third party apps need ONE
> standard to follow for menus, icons, MIME types, widget themes, color
> schemes, etc.
Why do they need to have it standarized where to put there data beside
what the FHS or LSB say?

The application will use icon loader FOO and they need to put their icons
where FOO expects it. That can be _anywhere_ and I can't see any technical
reason why the icon loader should be interchangable for one app.

Greetings, Stephan