Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, & menu icons

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Jun 29 08:30:51 EEST 2006

Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 29. Juni 2006 00:54 schrieb James Richard Tyrer:
>> This probably doesn't make much difference (at least for now) for KDE
>> apps and GNOME apps because they will continue to use their respective
>> icon loaders to load the icons.  But, what about third party apps?
>> There needs to be standard so that they can have the DeskTop (probably
>> through Portland) load the themed icons.  Third party apps need ONE
>> standard to follow for menus, icons, MIME types, widget themes, color
>> schemes, etc.
> Why do they need to have it standarized where to put there data beside
> what the FHS or LSB say?
>
> The application will use icon loader FOO and they need to put their icons
> where FOO expects it. That can be _anywhere_ and I can't see any technical
> reason why the icon loader should be interchangable for one app.

http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/
<<
Portland is a new Free Desktop initiative coming out of the OSDL Desktop
Architects' Meeting (hosted in Portland, Oregon in December 2005).
Portland intends to generate a common set of Linux Desktop Interfaces
and Tools to allow all applications to easily integrate with the free
desktop configuration an end user has chosen to work with.

Did I miss something?

If an app is going to request an icon through the Portland interface
library, aren't they going to need to be installed in a standardized
location as well.

--
JRT