Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, & menu icons

Stephan Kulow coolo at novell.com
Thu Jun 29 17:30:14 EEST 2006

Am Donnerstag, 29. Juni 2006 16:23 schrieb Rodney Dawes:
> On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 06:56 +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 29. Juni 2006 00:54 schrieb James Richard Tyrer:
> > > This probably doesn't make much difference (at least for now) for KDE
> > > apps and GNOME apps because they will continue to use their respective
> > > icon loaders to load the icons.  But, what about third party apps?
> > > There needs to be standard so that they can have the DeskTop (probably
> > > through Portland) load the themed icons.  Third party apps need ONE
> > > standard to follow for menus, icons, MIME types, widget themes, color
> > > schemes, etc.
> >
> > Why do they need to have it standarized where to put there data beside
> > what the FHS or LSB say?
>
> I don't know. Given that they aren't currently where the FHS says they
> should be really, I'm not sure what you're asking. The proposal here is
> to put things where the FHS says they should be.
Maybe I was unclear: I'm asking why we would spec anything not said by FHS.

> > The application will use icon loader FOO and they need to put their icons
> > where FOO expects it. That can be _anywhere_ and I can't see any
> > technical reason why the icon loader should be interchangable for one
> > app.
>
> But who specifies where FOO expects it? I don't see any particular
The FOO iconloader documentation. If portland wants to provide a toolkit
agnostic iconloader, then portland documentation has to specify where to put
the icons. If the app is a GTK app, then GTK documentation needs to specify
it. If it's a motif app, then ... hmm, I guess you're on your own then.

Greetings, Stephan