Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, & menu icons

Rodney Dawes dobey at novell.com
Thu Jun 29 17:42:03 EEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 16:30 +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 29. Juni 2006 16:23 schrieb Rodney Dawes:
> > >
> > > Why do they need to have it standarized where to put there data beside
> > > what the FHS or LSB say?
> >
> > I don't know. Given that they aren't currently where the FHS says they
> > should be really, I'm not sure what you're asking. The proposal here is
> > to put things where the FHS says they should be.

> Maybe I was unclear: I'm asking why we would spec anything not said by FHS.

But $XDG_DATA_DIRS/applications, $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS/menus, etc... aren't
in the FHS. The purpose here isn't to spec something that isn't said by
the FHS. It's to extend upon what the FHS already says, and provide a
sane way for applications to install themable private icons. So, I'm
still a bit confused as to why this questions is even being asked.

> > > The application will use icon loader FOO and they need to put their icons
> > > where FOO expects it. That can be _anywhere_ and I can't see any
> > > technical reason why the icon loader should be interchangable for one
> > > app.
> >
> > But who specifies where FOO expects it? I don't see any particular
> The FOO iconloader documentation. If portland wants to provide a toolkit
> agnostic iconloader, then portland documentation has to specify where to put
> the icons. If the app is a GTK app, then GTK documentation needs to specify
> it. If it's a motif app, then ... hmm, I guess you're on your own then.

Then why do we have a specification that says where to put icons at all?
Why isn't this all just part of the loader documentation?

-- dobey