Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, & menu icons

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jun 29 20:12:36 EEST 2006

On Thursday 29 June 2006 08:11, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 00:00 -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > I don't see KDE needing to do a bunch of work
> >
> > erm. i do. and i'm going to guess i'm a bit more familiar with the code
> > base?
>
> Well, my patch to implement this feature in GTK+ is a grand total of 4
> lines of changes. The first of those is a single character change. The
> next line is a new blank line, and the next 2 are the actual code.

this is bigger than icons in kde since that directory where apps store their
icons/ dir also houses other things. we have a complete infrastructure set up
around these things. yes, i could hack it in in a few lines of code just for
icon loading but that's a good way to end up with a crappy system in a few
years time. i'm looking at this a bit more holistically than you are because
i have to keep my eye on more than just icons.

> things change down the line, and it's still a problem. Saying "it's a
> bunch of work and therefore we don't want to do it," is functionally
> equivalent to saying "we don't care." You might as well just say "we
> don't care to solve this problem."

the term is "cost/benefit analysis" and what i'm saying is: "given the
improvements this would bring (zero to negligable), it's not worth the time
investment or the impact it will have on our user base."

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Undulate Your Wantonness