Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, &menu icons

Rodney Dawes dobey at novell.com
Fri Jun 30 21:22:59 EEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 08:26 -0700, Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> Yes, but KDE now looks in $KDEDIR/share/apps/icons and stuff. For KDE4
> that could be dropped in favour of some other locations. In the common
> case it wouldn't need to an actual increase in lookup locations.

Wouldn't you want to provide compatibility with older versions too? Of
course, if the goal for KDE4 is to just drop the old stuff without
compatibility, I don't see what all the fuss is about really. If all the
data could just be moved easily, it seems like the proposal is a fine
one to me.

> Yes, dropping a few locations that were added for backwards compatility
> wouldn't hurt. That said, after one stat you can drop things like
> ~/.icons if it doesn't exist, so it may be less bad as it seems on paper
> (or not)

Is this a suggestion that it might be a good time to look at breaking
backward compat in the icon theme spec itself, by getting rid of
$datadir/pixmaps, for example?

> I don't have a real opinion on that, you may be able to just add an
> $appname subdir to the existing icon-spec directory hierarchy.

You mean something like $XDG_DATA_DIRS/icons/$appname? I don't think
that's appropriate, as it would imply that $appname was a theme, which
it isn't. Apps shouldn't be installing their own new themes.

-- dobey