Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, &menu icons

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jun 30 23:00:51 EEST 2006

On Friday 30 June 2006 12:22, you wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 08:26 -0700, Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> > Yes, but KDE now looks in $KDEDIR/share/apps/icons and stuff. For KDE4
> > that could be dropped in favour of some other locations. In the common
> > case it wouldn't need to an actual increase in lookup locations.
>
> Wouldn't you want to provide compatibility with older versions too? Of
> course, if the goal for KDE4 is to just drop the old stuff without
> compatibility, I don't see what all the fuss is about really. If all the
> data could just be moved easily, it seems like the proposal is a fine
> one to me.

we may change the location of private app data (of which icons is but one part
of) but i'd really like to avoid restructuring, and particularly pulling
apart and distributing, that structure.

> > I don't have a real opinion on that, you may be able to just add an
> > $appname subdir to the existing icon-spec directory hierarchy.
>
> You mean something like $XDG_DATA_DIRS/icons/$appname? I don't think
> that's appropriate, as it would imply that $appname was a theme, which
> it isn't. Apps shouldn't be installing their own new themes.

woudn't it either be

$XDG_DATA_DIRS/icons/$theme/$appname (yuck)

or

$XDG_DATA_DIRS/$appname/icons/$theme (better)

my preference would be, as already noted elsewhere, to do:

$XDG_DATA_DIRS/appdata/$appname/icons/$theme

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Undulate Your Wantonness