standards track for FD.o (was Re: Allowing apps to install packages)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Mar 6 18:40:25 EET 2006

On Monday 06 March 2006 09:09, Mike Hearn wrote:
>  On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 17:48:27 -0700, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>  > please read and comment. if there is general support for it, let's
>  > nike[1]
>
>  Looks good! Bringing stakeholders in from outside the GNOME/KDE/X triad is
>  IMHO important and currently not done as well as it could be.

agreed... even we have problems ourselves trying to define clearly the status
of certain elements. i've discovered that it's still news for many people
outside of KDE (e.g. GNOME devs) that we're moving to DBUS in kde4; with a
proper tagging system on freedesktop.org this wouldn't be nearly the
challenge it is right now.

this will require some additional software dev done for the freedesktop.org
website. as i understand it's a wiki, though i have no idea which one or how
extensible it is. who is the current webmaster for fd.o?

>  (I'm thinking of stakeholders like commercial/proprietary ISVs, WineHQ,
>  etc .... also getting a handle on the ways distributions/desktops fork
>  from the spec is vital)

yes, it was at least partly written with this in mind. which is why the
wording is so amazingly manageresque. i "love" author-by-committee ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo