storage location for common user directories

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Mar 10 03:25:05 EET 2006

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 13:16, Claes at work wrote:
> On 3/8/06, Jamie McCracken <jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > > Do you remember which list and/or the list of folders that was created?
> >
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2003-January/msg00273.h
> >tml
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-October/msg00016.h
> >tml
>
> I was interested to see that the first thread referenced above was
> started by me, so naturally I must follow up on this :-) Especially
> since this is something I have been thinking of quite recently.
>
> I believe applications should ask a service of some kind where files
> should be saved. Arguments to this service could be file name, media
> type and the original source of the file - if the file is created by
> the user, downloaded, an email attachment and similar. The service
> should answer with a directory location.
>
> Similarily, "open file" dialogs could ask a service (file name might
> not be known, but extension might) where it should look for a file and
> the service could respond with a directory location.
>
> Optionally several directories can be returned, where the list of
> directories could be presented to as suggestions where the user can
> pick one in user interfaces which support it.

In KDE we have something somewhat similar to this where an application can
provide a keyword (e.g. ":images") and then the file dialog will remember the
directory so when the application asks for ":images" again, it will open the
dialog in the same directory. It's possible to specify keywords per
application and shared among applications.

Would be interesting to combine the two concepts and come up with a set of
standard keywords or, as you suggested, do some heuristics based on file
types etc.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Linux Client Architect - Channel Platform Solutions Group - Intel Corporation