Ok to set _NET_WM_STATE for withdrawn windows?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Mar 16 12:54:01 EET 2006

On Thursday 16 March 2006 09:57, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm a bit unclear about one aspect the _NET_WM_STATE handling. The spec
> says "The Window Manager SHOULD honor _NET_WM_STATE whenever a withdrawn
> window requests to be mapped.". Does this mean that it is ok to set
> _NET_WM_STATE manually before it's initially mapped? That seems to be a
> big no-no during normal operation.

 Yes. The app sets initial state properties, maps the window and uses the
message for changing the status while the window is mapped. Or, generally,
actually doesn't set and doesn't change, since the window state is usually
none of the app's business.

 And BTW the proper mailing list for the WM spec is wm-spec-list
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/wm-spec-list

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer