Ok to set _NET_WM_STATE for withdrawn windows?

Pierre Ossman drzeus-list at drzeus.cx
Fri Mar 17 01:07:32 EET 2006

Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Thursday 16 March 2006 09:57, Pierre Ossman wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm a bit unclear about one aspect the _NET_WM_STATE handling. The spec
>> says "The Window Manager SHOULD honor _NET_WM_STATE whenever a withdrawn
>> window requests to be mapped.". Does this mean that it is ok to set
>> _NET_WM_STATE manually before it's initially mapped? That seems to be a
>> big no-no during normal operation.
>
>  Yes. The app sets initial state properties, maps the window and uses the
> message for changing the status while the window is mapped. Or, generally,
> actually doesn't set and doesn't change, since the window state is usually
> none of the app's business.

What I want to do is to indicate that a window should initially be
maximised (similar to how one can indicate that it should initially be
minimised through WM_HINTS). I haven't seen any other way but to
manually set _NET_WM_STATE. But if that's ok then it should solve my
problem.

>  And BTW the proper mailing list for the WM spec is wm-spec-list
> http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/wm-spec-list

Sorry, I thought that was a GNOME specific list. And since the wm spec
had the XDG signature on it I thought this was the correct forum for it. :)

Thanks
Pierre