Menu-spec update (Was: [Patch] Update 'How to' to clarify computation of datadir)

Rodney Dawes dobey at novell.com
Tue Mar 21 22:02:18 EET 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 13:07 -0600, Jeremy White wrote:
> But by this change of the spec, you have essentially said
> to me as a system distributor:
>   XDG_DATA_DIRS *must* contain /usr/share or /usr/local/share, as that is
> where all ISVs will write their menus.
>
> Is that really what you intended or is there something I don't understand?

Shouldn't this just match the Menu Spec's File locations section [1],
which describes where these files go? Or should we just clarify datadir
to mean $prefix/share and sysconfdir to mean $prefix/etc, or /etc when
$prefix is /usr? Should this all be done in a spec outside the Menu
Spec? Don't "we" already do this outside the Menu Spec, in the Linux
Standards Base Filesystem Hierarchy Standard document?

-- dobey

[1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/1.0/ar01s02.html