Menu-spec update (Was: [Patch] Update 'How to' to clarify computation of datadir)

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Wed Mar 22 18:40:34 EET 2006

> I only suggest here, that installers that support relocation should do
> so with a 'prefix' mechanism rather than XDG_DATA_DIRS.

The use of XDG_DATA_DIRS is strictly for the purpose of creating
a menu on a given system; the software installer presumably
has other mechanisms for deciding where it's binaries and support files go.

> I'm not so sure that is a good idea. I think putting files into the
> application prefix and then registering that location through a file in
> /etc (or through invocation of a system utility) in much better suited
> to provide flexibility and manageability (and conform to the letter and
> spirit of the FHS).

Sure; I can see a rational argument for that as well, but afaict,
the current menu-spec has no provision for that currently.  This
was also discussed in an earlier thread, and there seemed to be
some dislike of this on the part of others.

Cheers,

Jeremy