Menu-spec update (Was: [Patch] Update 'How to' to clarify computation of datadir)

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Thu Mar 23 00:44:53 EET 2006

Rodney Dawes wrote:
[...]
> For packages such as RPM and DPKG, you should be installing in a
> specific location, compliant with the packaging policies of the
> distribution you are targetting the packages for.

Which means ISVs will produce a single RPM for RedHat Enterprice Linux,
leaving Novell / SUSE Linux in the dust. Is this really what you want?

 > There should be no
> question of where files get installed in these cases. The distributions
> specify this stuff for you, and therefore those seem outside the scope
> of what we're trying to cover here.

I thought that the purpose of a standard was to, as its name implies,
make things standard, not just across Gnome / KDE / ROX, but also across
Linux distributions: we have the FHS and LSB for basic system packages
and FreeDesktop for all desktop oriented things.

--
Francois Gouget
fgouget at codeweavers.com