Menu-spec update (Was: [Patch] Update 'How to' to clarify computation of datadir)

Rodney Dawes dobey at novell.com
Thu Mar 23 00:56:04 EET 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 23:44 +0100, Francois Gouget wrote:
> Rodney Dawes wrote:
>  > There should be no
> > question of where files get installed in these cases. The distributions
> > specify this stuff for you, and therefore those seem outside the scope
> > of what we're trying to cover here.
>
> I thought that the purpose of a standard was to, as its name implies,
> make things standard, not just across Gnome / KDE / ROX, but also across
> Linux distributions: we have the FHS and LSB for basic system packages
> and FreeDesktop for all desktop oriented things.

So why should be specifying something different than the FHS. We should
be a layer of specification above it, not beside it, claiming things
should be installed somewhere different than where the FHS states. If
you want to make the standards standard, they all need to work together,
not disagree with each other all over the place.

FD.o says to install menu items here, but the FHS says to install them
over here instead, is not really what we want to be telling people. It
just adds to the confusion. If the FHS needs clarification for telling
ISVs where to put things, we should also be working to get any issues
with the FHS fixed, not trying to subjectively fix them in specs on
FreeDesktop.org.

-- dobey