Moving towards version 1.0 of desktop entry spec

Vincent Untz vuntz at gnome.org
Sat May 20 12:44:30 EEST 2006

Le samedi 22 avril 2006 à 10:04 +0200, Vincent Untz a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Here's a small patch fixing really minor stuff in the desktop entry
> spec:

I did some more work this morning.

Here's a bunch of patches to apply in the following order:
  cleanup.diff
  cleanup2.diff
  encoding.diff
  swallow.diff
  reorganize.diff
  group.diff
  keys.diff

cleanup.diff: the patch I sent a few weeks ago
cleanup2.diff: some more cleanup, mainly adding some <literal> tags
encoding.diff: move all of the legacy-mixed encoding stuff to the
               appendix
swallow.diff: deprecate the Swallow* keys
reorganize.diff: move lots of text around. It makes the spec easier to
                 understand, IMHO.
group.diff: improve definition of group headers
keys.diff: reorder the list of standard keys so they are sorted by type

I believe this should be okay for everyone, but make sure to verify :-)

I don't have a fd.o cvs account, so I won't be able to commit them. But
I can ask for one if necessary.

Here's a list of things that I intend to work on:

  + move all the FSDevice-related keys to appendix B ("Currently
    reserved for use within KDE"). I won't make the change if some
    other project is using those keys or if people disagree.

  + define the type of regexp that is accepted. Any feedback on what it
    should be?

  + tell what should happen when multiple group headers have the same
    name. We could either merge them, only use the first, only use
    the last, etc. I'd say we should only use the last one.

  + change the type of the version key to string and specify its format
    (MAJOR.MINOR.MICRO where MAJOR, MINOR and MICRO are positive
    integers). 0.9.4 is not a numeric value ;-)

  + I don't think the SortOrder key is useful with the menu spec. Should
    it be deprecated?

  + is the FilePattern key used?

Is there any other issue in this spec that we should solve?

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.