Moving towards version 1.0 of desktop entry spec

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Tue May 23 08:57:30 EEST 2006

Looks ok, unless objections are raised I will commit these changes by the end of this week. Some additional comments:

Re: encoding.diff

In the chunk at line 148, I would mention that use of ENCODING is deprecated.

Re: multiple-groups

What about stating that multiple groups with the same name are not allowed? Otherwise we will need to make sure that different implementations actually handle this in the same way, which I fear they may not at the moment.

Re: SortOrder

I think it can be deprecated. It's currently underspecified and the menu-spec defines another mechanism for defining the order of menu-items.

Re: FilePattern

I am not aware of it being used in any way.

Re: Other stuff

1) The section "Priority of MIME types and desktop files" doesn't seem to belong in the desktop entry spec.

2) Escaping of the exec parameters refers to "mailcap" and RFC1524. I don't think that is very helpful and/or accurate. Maybe we can come up with a simple "<command> [<args>]*" style syntax of things that are supported.

3) Non-absolute Icon= entries are labeled "implementation-dependent". In an ideal world we would be able to refer to the icon theme spec here.

Waldo Bastian
Linux Client Architect - Client Linux Foundation Technology
Channel Platform Solutions Group
Intel Corporation - http://www.intel.com/go/linux
OSDL DTL Tech Board Chairman