simple search api (was Re: mimetype standardisation by testsets)

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 22:51:43 EET 2006

2006/11/21, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com>:

> Ok, let me summarize my thoughts about the status so far.
>
> org.freedesktop.search.simple
>
> Interface: OK, with a few "but"s:
>  - add getSnippet (in: s query, in: uris as, out: snippets a{ss})
>    Returns a map of uri->snippet, with the snippet containing simple
> markup to highlight the matching part. The markup should probably be limited
> to <b> and <i> tags. Only uris actually having a meaning full snippet are
> returned.
>  Example getSnippet("hello", ["file:///tmp/test.c", "
> file:///tmp/portrait.jpg"]) returns [" file:///tmp/test.c"->"...printf("<b>hello</b>
> world");... "]
>
>  - Query language:
> Needs to be defined for the api to be of any real use. Something close to
> beagle/strigi/lucene/google is probably the best. Also spotlights language
> should be in the consideration.
> As an application developer I strongly move for a "group:" switch to be
> included in this language spec. The discussion on what these groups should
> contain can be post poned a bit.
> Another switch for the query language could be "sort:" with some sane
> sorting options...
>
> lib vs daemon:
> I must admit I'm still in favor of a lib. In short the lib should function
> like:
>  - getInterfaceProvider(iface): return (objectPath, iface) this call is
> async an integrates in both QT and Glib mainloops.
>  - If it is not feasible to find the interface provider at runtime, I see
> nothing wrong in precompiling a list of providers from installed
> introspection xml, or dbus activation files.
>
> I still think we can use a lot of your code though.
>
> I'll try and put something with a little more rationale behind it on the
> wiki tonight.

I put up a wiki page here: http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/WasabiDraft
I went vigilante and called the combined effort for common search api/spec +
common metadata storage api/spec Wasabi - it tastes so damn good :-)

Anyway the name is not important - go there and clean up the mess I made, or
atleast provide some comments :-)

As also noted in the page, this project might do better as a subproject of
Portland...?

Cheers,
Mikkel