mime types

Kustaa Nyholm feedback2 at sparetimelabs.com
Mon Oct 16 19:24:40 EEST 2006

Magnus Bergman wrote (I think it was him):

 >Now you might not be the one who came up with this mimetype. But if it
 >was, you should consider renaming it to
 >'application/vnd.VendorName.Type' to follow standards.

Let me start by thanking everyone who has responded to my enquiry with helpfull
messages, I appreciate it.

Now, on the subject of mime types.  I've tried to find where is says that mime
types for application specific binaries should take the form suggested above
by Magnus, ie:

'application/vnd.VendorName.Type'

But I can't find this defined anywhere.

Instead there is lots of different convetions, like in this list:

http://turnpike.net/cgi-bin/Mimes

such as:

application/vnd.framemaker
application/vnd.lotus-freelance
application/vnd.ms-excel
application/vnd.motorola.flexsuite

Last of which seems to comply, except that its all lower case.

So, I suppose this is defined somewhere but I would appreciate a pointer to the
spec.

cheers Kusti