_NET_WORKAREA and Xinerama

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Oct 26 08:04:44 EEST 2006

Oleg Sukhodolsky wrote:
> On 10/26/06, The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <raster at rasterman.com> wrote:
>> don't look at me. :) you have to get this past the people who control
>> the spec.
>
> I though that this list is a right place to ask/discuss this.  Or all
> such people gone to other aliases ;)

The right list is wm-spec-list at gnome.org (at gnome.org for historical
reasons). I don't think most of the WM people are on this list.

Traditionally the spec has evolved on a rough consensus basis, usually
people post a diff against the spec to the list and if there's no major
controversy it goes in. Stuff doesn't go in unless there's a patch and
someone takes the "if no objections in 2 weeks I'm going to commit" kind
of tactic. Also, generally it's good practice to have tried implementing
the feature.

In practice, it doesn't matter as much what's in the spec as whether
most WMs implement it, since if the common WMs don't implement
something, app authors won't use the feature. So there's no point
putting something in the spec if a lot of WM maintainers are saying they
won't implement it.

On the other hand if several WMs are implementing something, it's
probably worth putting in so it's documented.

Havoc