mimetype standardisation by testsets

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Oct 30 01:43:15 EET 2006

On Sunday 29 October 2006 15:38, Jos van den Oever wrote:
> What do you think of this initiative?

for those of us working higher up in the stack, it would be pretty nice to
have standard output. as you note in your email, incomplete or overcomplete
is fine (allows for innovation and various approaches), but what is provided
really should be consistent. this will allow us working on file
managers/browsers/dialogs/etc to stop worrying a bit about what's under the
hood. in other words: huzzah!

i strongly recommend other groups (beagle, tracker, etc) engage in this
process so we can provide support for your systems in kde in a coherent
manner.

in a dream world, i'd really like to see people from the macos spotlight team
and whatever microsoft is working on ping'd so they have the opportunity to
also come into agreement so our applications work everywhere even if we use
the "native" systems on those platforms for metadata retrieval. anyone know
people in these projects? (i know some people who most likely know people
working on spotlight, but my microsoft contacts are near zero in this realm)

--
Aaron J. Seigo