Icon Naming Spec

Rodney Dawes dobey at novell.com
Wed Sep 6 20:36:22 EEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 13:11 -0400, Diana Fong wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> My name is Diana, and I am currently heading the Echo icon set
> effort...which has adopted the Tango naming scheme.  We've now created
> several icons that do not currently exist in the Tango set and so the
> creators try to name it as best we understand the naming scheme.  I've
> been contacted a couple of times to change the names of some icons and
> have gladly done so.
> Please check out our gallery [1] and let us know of which needs to be
> renamed and to what.
> I'd also like for some direction for myself as well as other
> contributors to follow for new icons we will be making in the future.
> Should a new email be sent each time a new icon is made that has not
> been named?

I see no reason to start a new thread for every icon that comes up. If
there are a bunch that should be discussed at once, such as the
Emoticons, then they can be lumped into a single thread. If other icons
also come up though, I see no reason to try to avoid creating new
threads to discuss them in, as they come up.

My main concern with the naming right now, is the choice of names for
emoticons which are not in the spec. And some of the icons in the spec
don't actually belong there, or are named inapproprately, such as
face-devil-*. A sad devil icon doesn't make sense. There should just
be a face-devilish icon instead, and I have a patch to fix that issue.
I just blindly threw some names in for filler in the beginning, and
nobody outside of the Tango community really has done any review of
the spec. The emotes have also been on the back burner as they are a
very small bit of the icon experience on the desktop. We have so many
icons in all the other contexts, that it made sense to just hold off
on dealing with the emotes for the time being. Now that Echo is stepping
up to implement the spec as well though, I think it's time for us to
get the spec polished off and finalized and ready for a 1.0 stamping.

-- dobey