PATCH: Menu Spec - Categories

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Sat Sep 9 01:17:25 EEST 2006

Based on Aaron's mail I'm inclined to say that use of the Screensaver
category is not sufficiently standardized between the desktop
environments as they exist today. I suspect that the same is true for
the TrayIcon and Applet categories (And what about Shell?)

I think we should come up with a separate specification for screensavers
which for now would have a this-is-where-we-want-to-go status and not a
this-is-what-works-today status, like the Menu Spec 1.0. Looking at
Picasa I suspect that the Google people have some additional items that
they would like to see addressed wrt screensavers.

Wrt the Menu Spec. Would it make sense to mark the Screensaver, Applet
and TrayIcon as "Reserved", with a note saying that they are in use for
desktop specific purposes that's beyond the scope of the spec and that
they should only be used with an appropriate OnlyShowIn= line?

Waldo Bastian
Linux Client Architect - Client Linux Foundation Technology
Channel Platform Solutions Group
Intel Corporation - http://www.intel.com/opensource
OSDL DTL Tech Board Chairman