Icon naming issue

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 07:05:13 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 09:33 +0200, Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> On Saturday 28 April 2007 08:03:27 Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > >
> > > Semantics
> >
> > Failing to follow the semantics of a specification means you fail to
> > follow the specification.
>
> Ok, someone show me where it says that hicolor should be a full-blown theme of
> its own.

Re-read Patryk's statement to which you replied simply "Semantics." It
does not say that hicolor should be a full-blown theme. Nor does it say
that it should not be. It merely states a clarification between default
and fallback. And in reply to this and at least one other portion of his
mail, you simply attempt to dismiss the statements as "semantics." I was
merely stating that doing so is inappropriate, as a specification is
nothing more than a large list of semantics which must be followed, for
one to follow the specification. Trying to simplify the issue as
semantics reads as one of "I don't care" or "I don't understand" but it
is unclear which one is the appropriate statement.

In either case of one calling hicolor "default" or "fallback" the
specification uses the term fallback, and to imply that something is
a theme, and that applications can fall back to it, is to imply that it
does in fact contain icons. If you read the Icon Theme spec carefully,
you should also see that it was written with the intent of only sharing
application icons which show up in the "Programs" menu, and not every
icon which may appear in an application. However, given the evolution
of the desktops to provide themable icons throughout an application, it
only seems appropriate that there needs to be a fallback theme which
provides all the icons in the Icon Naming Specification, that
applications may fall back to. In GNOME, that theme is currently the
gnome-icon-theme package. We fall back to it, immediately before the
hicolor theme. In KDE 3.x, that theme is CrystalSVG, but the
implementation is a little different.