Category for a desktop tool needed

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 07:14:16 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 15:59 +0200, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > >
> > > It still does not solve the problem, which secondary category fits the
> > > application (Service), which simply "makes desktop more usable".
> >
> > "makes desktop more usable" is a subjective measurement, in this
> > example, not objective.
>
> I want "Utility;Desktop", not Prettification. Something targeted to
> desktop itself.

Want to use it for what? So far nobody has explained what exactly the
category needs to be used for. You've just declared a need for a
different category.

> "Makes desktop more usable" or "application which helps to organize
> windows" is maybe a subjective measurement. But please show me to a
> correct secondary category for it in the current specs.

Tell me what I am trying to describe, and I will describe it. :)

> > On top of the secondary categories, we also have the reserved categories
> > for Screensaver, TrayIcon, and Applet to use. These probably all fit the
> > type of "apps" you want to have a new special Prettification category
> > for.
>
> It is not Screensaver, TrayIcon nor Applet.

What isn't? "Desktop Widgets" as used by dashboard/gdesklets/karamba
are all applets. They are just "desktop" applets, as opposed to panel,
or java applets.

-- dobey