Category for a desktop tool needed

Stanislav Brabec sbrabec at suse.cz
Fri Aug 10 06:59:08 PDT 2007

Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 13:10 +0200, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> > Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > > This would also solve the "Accessibility" "issue" that Stanislav brought
> > > up in his mail, wanting a category for "something that provides an
> > > additional service, but isn't a standalone app 'window'".
> >
> > It still does not solve the problem, which secondary category fits the
> > application (Service), which simply "makes desktop more usable".
>
> "makes desktop more usable" is a subjective measurement, in this
> example, not objective.

I want "Utility;Desktop", not Prettification. Something targeted to
desktop itself.

"Makes desktop more usable" or "application which helps to organize
windows" is maybe a subjective measurement. But please show me to a
correct secondary category for it in the current specs.

> On top of the secondary categories, we also have the reserved categories
> for Screensaver, TrayIcon, and Applet to use. These probably all fit the
> type of "apps" you want to have a new special Prettification category
> for.

It is not Screensaver, TrayIcon nor Applet.

> The secondary category for a "Service" would
> be related to the service it provides. For example, an OBEX FTP service
> should have FileTransfer as an additional category. Vino would have
> RemoteAccess. I don't think having additional categories for subjective
> metrics such as "makes *my* desktop prettier for *me*" is appropriate
> for a standardized specification.

Primary category Service gives perfect sense.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SUSE LINUX, s. r. o.                          e-mail: sbrabec at suse.cz
Lihovarská 1060/12                            tel: +420 284 028 966
190 00 Praha 9                                fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic                                http://www.suse.cz/