More on the menu spec test suite

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Wed Feb 7 08:12:27 EET 2007

Wrt 4) and 5), this is intentional. I'll fix 3).

See e.g.
http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-1.0.html#query-algo
rithm :
"Note that an entry that is included in a menu but excluded again by a
later <Exclude> is still considered allocated (for the purposes of
<OnlyUnallocated>) even though that entry no longer appears in the
menu."

The rationale for this is to make menu editing easier: A menu entry can
be removed by adding a single <Excluded>, and likewise, a submenu can be
removed with a single <Deleted>. If the entry was considered
"Unallocated" after being explicitly excluded, removing an entry this
way would effectively move it to an "unallocated" menu instead of truly
removing it, which many people considered confusing.

Cheers,
Waldo

Intel Corporation - Platform Software Engineering, UMG - Hillsboro,
Oregon