[Wasabi] Kicking of the Metadata spec - brainstorm

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Tue Feb 20 13:23:41 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 15:10 +0100, Jos van den Oever wrote:
> 2007/2/20, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com>:

> > just
> > now.

> > http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/xmp/sdk/XMPspecification.pdf

> > http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fshared_2dfilemetadata_2dspec

> > http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/tracker/trunk/data/tracker-introspect.xml?view=markup

> > http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Reference/MetadataAttributesRef/Reference/CommonAttrs.html

> > http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fdesktop_2demblem_2dspec

> > the
> > Apples
> > the

> > api
> > and

> > operate
> > too
> > are

> > needs
> > >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > First I'd like to point to the original mail I sent on this subject.
> > > It already contained a relatively simple spec framework. That is, not
> > > attribute names, but a way to define them, type them and check them.
> > > There was also some code attached to do allow testsets to check the
> > > correctness of metadata extraction from files. Hence the title of the
> > > mail: 'mimetype standardization by testsets'. I still stand by this
> > > idea.
> >

> > Sorry Jos, how could I miss this out. For reference - here's the original
> > thread:
> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2006-October/008682.html
> Ah yes, thanks for adding the link, I forgot it.

Yes, excellent.

> > > Here is an idea for a simple proposal.
> > >
> > > - Each metadata type is identified by a URI. E.g.
> > >
> > http://www.freedesktop.org/metadata/xhtml1/title.
> > > - For each URI there will be human readable descriptions in every
> > > language and keywords in every language. I will use the keyword in the
> > > further description mixed with the URI.
> >

> > I like this idea as such. I can't readily see how it intermixes with known
> > widespread standards such as DC though..?

Yes, I think this approach is good as well. My main interest is in
getting proper licensing fields into this spec (I work for creative
commons ;) Maybe now is not the time to throw my 2 cents into this, but
this URI approach meshes well with other standards...

> DC also uses URIs to identify metadata types. It does not define much
> more than that though. This is too little for our needs. Within RDF
> Schema it is also customary to use URIs for type identification.

Agree, but how would you propose to mend this gap?

Is there spec on a wiki somewhere to help hammer this out?

Jon

--
Jon Phillips

San Francisco, CA