[Wasabi] Kicking of the Metadata spec - brainstorm

Jos van den Oever jvdoever at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 13:42:21 PST 2007

2007/2/20, Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>:
> On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 15:10 +0100, Jos van den Oever wrote:

> > > just
> > > now.

> > > http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/xmp/sdk/XMPspecification.pdf

> > > http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fshared_2dfilemetadata_2dspec

> > > http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/tracker/trunk/data/tracker-introspect.xml?view=markup

> > > http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Reference/MetadataAttributesRef/Reference/CommonAttrs.html

> > > http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fdesktop_2demblem_2dspec

> > > the
> > > Apples
> > > the

> > > api
> > > and

> > > operate
> > > too
> > > are

> > > needs

> > > Sorry Jos, how could I miss this out. For reference - here's the original
> > > thread:
> > > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2006-October/008682.html
> > Ah yes, thanks for adding the link, I forgot it.
>
> Yes, excellent.

> > > http://www.freedesktop.org/metadata/xhtml1/title.
> > >

> > > I like this idea as such. I can't readily see how it intermixes with known
> > > widespread standards such as DC though..?
>
> Yes, I think this approach is good as well. My main interest is in
> getting proper licensing fields into this spec (I work for creative
> commons ;) Maybe now is not the time to throw my 2 cents into this, but
> this URI approach meshes well with other standards...
>
> > DC also uses URIs to identify metadata types. It does not define much
> > more than that though. This is too little for our needs. Within RDF
> > Schema it is also customary to use URIs for type identification.
>
> Agree, but how would you propose to mend this gap?
I see two possibilities: either we add a mechanism with aliases. We
could for example say that we have a group of types that matches the a
certain DC entry. Since metadata types may appear in multiple groups
this is a flexible method that does not make us depend too much on DC
but lets us interact with it.

Or we use the DC entries as parents. We then say that the DC types
have xml schema type xs:anySimpleType and set the other properties as
undefined as possible too.