well-known user folders, a proposal

Stanislav Brabec sbrabec at suse.cz
Thu Feb 22 05:07:06 PST 2007

Frederic Crozat píše v Čt 22. 02. 2007 v 13:44 +0100:
> Le jeudi 22 février 2007 à 12:11 +0100, Alexander Larsson a écrit :

> -the english names were always visible, even in non english locale

It's easy to patch GNOME to show localized file names.

The code is already present in GNOME to provide a special icon and
localized name for "Desktop" in the file selector. Nautilus developers
decided to provide only custom icon, but kept English name there. This
is an inconsistency in GNOME itself.

To be HIG friendly, we can provide information about real name in the
tooltip or properties.

I strongly agree with "Use English names for standard directories."
Otherwise you will complicate writing scripts and multi-lingual people
can have two sets of directories.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SUSE LINUX, s. r. o.                          e-mail: sbrabec at suse.cz
Lihovarská 1060/12                            tel: +420 284 028 966
190 00 Praha 9                                fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic                                http://www.suse.cz/