well-known user folders, a proposal

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Feb 22 05:13:55 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 14:07 +0100, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> Frederic Crozat píše v Čt 22. 02. 2007 v 13:44 +0100:
> > Le jeudi 22 février 2007 à 12:11 +0100, Alexander Larsson a écrit :
>
> > -the english names were always visible, even in non english locale
>
> It's easy to patch GNOME to show localized file names.
>
> The code is already present in GNOME to provide a special icon and
> localized name for "Desktop" in the file selector. Nautilus developers
> decided to provide only custom icon, but kept English name there. This
> is an inconsistency in GNOME itself.

We currently use english-on-disk and mostly punt the translations, yes.
This is pretty bad, and this move is to solve that.

> I strongly agree with "Use English names for standard directories."
> Otherwise you will complicate writing scripts and multi-lingual people
> can have two sets of directories.

It will make scripts slighly more complicated, yes. But it tried to make
it as easy as possible. I think its a small price to pay. At least if we
fix all such bugs we'll get a consistently translated system, whereas
the english-on-disk case can *never* become fully consistent (i.e. we
can never translate in terminal, or when filenames are displayed/entered
in the ui).

The way it works in my proposal you won't get two sets of dirs though.
Instead you'll just get whatever locale you first log in to, and that
will be kept until you --force it to update (or if you change it
manually). I think this is good enough, because if you regularly change
locale you can generally understand both of those languages. (And you
can manually pick your favourite if you want.)

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a deeply religious native American cowboy possessed of the uncanny powers
of an insect. She's a mentally unstable snooty former first lady with a song
in her heart and a spring in her step. They fight crime!