well-known user folders, a proposal

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Feb 22 09:51:54 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 09:48 -0800, Octavio Alvarez wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 08:36:21 -0800, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 10:17 -0600, Kent Schumacher wrote:
> >> I run a business LTSP installation, and the last thing I really want is
> >> a whole bunch of useless directories in my home directory, my file
> >> selectors (gnome), and in my file manager.  There has to be an easy to
> >> set policy that completely disables this behavior...
> >
> > Sure. Set enabled=false in the system or per-user config file.
>
> I'd prefer to remove the config file to remove functionality. This
> would make it easier for scripts to detect with [ -f ]. If config
> file exist specific directories could be disabled by commenting them
> out (not specifying them).

I'm not sure what you mean. The config file is read by the program run
on login that creates/updates directories. Nothing else should really
read it. Why would they want to do that anyway? For instance, the users
~/.config/user-dirs.dirs file might be totally manually written and not
generated from the config at all.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an underprivileged amnesiac grifter on a mission from God. She's a
vivacious tempestuous bounty hunter looking for love in all the wrong places.
They fight crime!