User State Data

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Feb 23 13:17:55 PST 2007

Ivan Čukić wrote:
>The program itself is divided into the library and gui for kde4 so
> easing the making of the gtk2 (or any other) port of the gui...
>
>There are two types of the configuration files - one for the data
> location of the resources for each application, and one containing the
> localization information for application and resource names and
> descriptions formated as an .desktop file.

Just a bit more info on the background of the application. The idea is to
provide a response to the user request "How do I migrate my account to my
new computer?" Currently, in KDE, we just suggest copying $HOME/.kde, but
that also copies a lot of stuff that doesn't need copying (some caches,
old config files no longer used, etc.), while leaving out some important
data found in, for instance, ~/.local and ~/.config, like the menu.

The idea here would be to fire up this application, which would scan the
user's local settings and provide him/her a list of what can be backed
up. He'd also have the option of choosing what data he wants to back up
(for instance, he may want to copy the desktop settings and passwords,
but not the email cache since he's using an IMAP server anyways). He'd
then click on a "Create Archive" button and would get a .kamion file.

By copying that file to the new workstation and opening the file, he'd be
presented with the option of restoring the data.

This tool could be even used for creating back ups.

Now, Ivan, I didn't understand the distinction between the two types of
configuration files. Can you give us some more info?

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358